Thank you for wanting to get to know St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in Glen Ellyn. For a moment, imagine a church that listens to you. Imagine a church where you can feel a sense of spirit and calm. Imagine a church where you can ask questions and not be judged. Imagine a church where you are welcomed immediately. We at St. Mark’s are always here to extend a hand and lend an ear. The best way to experience this for yourself is to come worship with us on Sunday and get acquainted with our congregation. What do you need to know? A few answers to common questions:
We offer four services for Sunday worship:
- At 8:00 AM, the service is a Rite I Eucharist with music offered by a variety of instrumentalists and a closing hymn. This service is quiet and contemplative. Following this service is a brief coffee ‘moment’ in the narthex, and an adult education offering in Mahon Hall.
- The 9:15 AM service is a Rite II Eucharist, with musical leadership provided by the Chorister and Treble (children and youth) choirs, and organ-led hymns throughout the service. Very young children can attend Lamb’s Chapel or Children’s Worship during this time, and then join their families at communion. Education for children, youth and adults follows this service from 10:15 to 11:15.
- At 10:30 AM, is a Rite II choral Eucharist, with traditional music throughout. Musical leadership comes from the Adult Choir and guest instrumentalists. A coffee hour in Mahon Hall follows the service, to offer a time of fellowship.
- The 1:00 PM service is a Rite II Eucharist in Spanish–“misa en Espanol” with music accompanied by piano and guitar. A bilingual Spanish/English bulletin enables both Spanish and English speakers to participate fully in worship. As with other worship services at St. Mark’s, the gathering is multi-generational and multi-cultural.
- Communion: At every service all are welcome to receive Holy Communion, including young children.
- You can get acquainted with our previous Sunday bulletins here or past sermons here.
Childcare and Sunday School:
Nursery—Available for infants during 8:00 a.m., 9:15 a.m., 10:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. services as well as the 10:15 a.m. Sunday School and 12:00 p.m. Spanish Language Sunday School. It is staffed each week by Ms. Norma Cid, our nursery coordinator, who has been with us for over 17 years. We also have a group of parish volunteers who assist Ms. Norma each week. The nursery is found on the lower level of the education wing, room 112.
JAM (Jesus and Me)–Available for children ages 4-8 during the 9:15 a.m. worship service. JAM moves to 9:00 a.m. during summer. Stories from the Old and New Testaments are told using the Godly Play format. This age-appropriate worship experience is multi-sensory and provides children with an opportunity to sing, pray, listen and respond in their own way to God’s Word. They are guided to the sanctuary to join their families for the Eucharist. Children’s Worship is located in the undercroft (downstairs from the sanctuary) in rooms 123 and 124.
10:15 a.m. Sunday School—Our children learn the stories of the Christian faith in an atmosphere of love and safety, utilizing the Episcopal Church’s Weaving God’s Promises curriculum. This is an online curriculum will various activities to meet different aged children. Classes meet from 10:15-11:15 a.m. every Sunday, beginning in early September and ending mid-May. Children are grouped according to their school grade level and are led by teams of dedicated teachers. Newcomers are welcome to join at any time. Classes are located on both levels of the Education Wing. Children whose parents worship at 10:30 a.m. will be escorted to the sanctuary at 11:15 a.m. to rejoin their parents.
We have an east parking lot off of Main Street/Phillips Avenue and a west parking lot off of Hillside Avenue. There is also street parking along Phillips Avenue.
When you know which Sunday you’re able to attend, please reach out to our Head of Newcomers Kim Eichenauer at firstname.lastname@example.org or our Children’s Ministry Director Kristin Margaglione at kristin419