“And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” Luke 10:27
St. Mark’s is a parish community focused on outreach to others.
St. Mark’s Outreach Committee works together with members of the parish to coordinate and support the many service projects and fundraisers that our parish is involved in that improve the lives of those in need in our community and around the world. In the past four years, our parish has donated close to $450,000 in monetary and in-kind goods to our supported projects.
A few highlights of our efforts to serve others in 2015:
- St. Mark’s annual Pumpkin Patch for PADS during October raised approximately $8,000 for the homeless and Native American Farmers.
- Five parishioners were trained by Bridge Communities in preparation for the adoption of a Bridge Transitional Housing family in February, 2016.
- Members of our parish assembled and donated requested items for over 85 families that are homeless or in transitional housing situations through ReVive, formerly Cathedral Shelter of Chicago, an Episcopal sponsored agency on Chicago’s west side.
- Parishioners provided volunteer staffing and meals for over 65 guests on the first Sunday of every month at a DuPage PADS site in Glen Ellyn.
- A relationship building trip by 14 parishioners (8th grade to adult) to our sister parish in Nigromante, Mexico in June. Click on this link to Global Partnerships for more information on our relationship with San Marcos.
St. Mark’s youth are active in service as well, collecting food for the Glen Ellyn Food Pantry, volunteering at People’s Resource Center, making lunches and serving dinner for PADS clients as well as participating in Bridge Communities’ Sleep Out Saturday, the CROP Walk and a summer service-oriented Junior Mission Camp.
Please be sure to check the Outreach Links for more information on events and our supported projects and organizations. If you have any questions about the Outreach Committee or would like to know our next meeting date, please contact Jim Grotelueschen, Outreach Vestry Liaison, email@example.com.
Please consider being a part of our committee or getting involved with one of our many events, for it is truly in giving that we receive.