Will you seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving your neighbor as yourself?
I will, with God’s help.
Youth @ StMarks
St. Mark’s youth are a vital part of our St. Mark’s community. They are active in worship, fellowship, education, and service. They are learning and modeling what it means to live out their faith.
Rooted in Baptism
Middle School marks the beginning of preparation for confirmation, a reaffirming of the Baptismal Covenant, those promises made for us at Baptism. The Baptismal Covenant is a question and answer version of the Apostle’s Creed, a statement of faith, and how we are called to live out that faith.Confirmation takes place at the end of 8th grade, when those youth who choose to be confirmed renew their baptismal vows during a service, which includes a laying on of hands by the Bishop.
High School is a time to learn how to take responsibility for those baptismal promises made at confirmation. These are important years when St. Mark’s hopes to engage, instruct, and involve high schoolers and provide the foundation necessary for the Christian life.
Growing in Faith
- Attending and Serving in Worship: We encourage our youth to go to church with their families. One of the most important messages we want to impart is that worship holds us together as a community in Christ. Attending worship is a commitment, one that we hope sticks.
In addition to attending services, we ask each incoming 6th grader to commit to a role in worship, serving as an usher, acolyte, reader, and/or instrumentalist. We hope that serving in these roles will help youth realize their importance as part of St. Mark’s.
There are many educational opportunities for youth at St. Mark’s. Sunday School classes are offered at 10:15 a.m. and at noon:
- 6th Grade (10:15 a.m.) in Room 103
- 7th/8th Grade (10:15 a.m.) in Room 101 (includes preparation for confirmation)
- 6th, 7th, 8th Grade (Noon) in Room 103 (includes preparation for confirmation)
- High School Grades 9th to 12th (10:15 a.m. and Noon) in Lehman Parlor
Youth Bridge Group 1st Sunday of the Month:
A once a month learning/serving opportunity for all 6th through 12th graders (11:45 a.m.).
7th and 8th Graders meet regularly with adult mentors, one on one, to discuss their faith and what it means to be confirmed.
Confirmation Lunches and Retreats:
These are opportunities for 7th and 8th graders to get additional preparation for confirmation. Parents and mentors are included in some of these events.
Wednesday Night Youth Groups, Cookouts, and Fellowship:
Fellowship provides timefor middle schoolers and high schoolers to learn about themselves and God–and have fun while doing it!
Helping out with Parish Activities and Events:
These include service and fellowship opportunities such as: making PADS lunches, serving at the St. Nicholas Brunch, working in the Pumpkin Patch, assisting in the Nursery, interning in the office, andhelping with art exhibits, Mexico Mission Trip and ASP Trip fundraisers, the Annual Meeting, the Parish Picnic, VBS, and more!
Branching Out into the World
We pray that what our youth learn in their homes and at St. Mark’s will strengthen them as they go out in their schools, their communities, and the world beyond and live out their Baptismal promises and demonstrate God’s grace.
St. Mark’s provides the following opportunities:
- Mexico Mission Trip
- Appalachia Service Project Trip
- Jr High Mission Camp with First Congregational of Glen Ellyn
- Offsite Retreats and Activities (with the Diocese of Chicago and OneChurch partners, Grace Lutheran and St. Luke)
- PADS (Public Action to Deliver Shelter)
- PRC (People’s Resource Center)
- Feed My Starving Children
- And more!
Link here for the Baptismal Covenant which outlines the affirmations and promises of the Christian life and faith.